vorige Hefte

Michael Farrenkopf:
The Saxon Mine and Ruhr mining at the beginning of the 20th century

During the course of the so-called northern migration of Ruhr mining, it reached the region around Hamm only at the beginning of the 20th century. The beginnings of the Saxon Mine can be attributed to the efforts of the Mansfeldsche Kupferschiefer bauende Gewerkschaft, Eisleben, to cover the requirements for coal and coke at its own steelworks. The mine's name referred to the headquarters of the company which, already previously and for the same purpose, had put the Mansfeld Mine into operation in Bochum-Langendreer. Compared to the mines in the western and central Ruhr District, the Saxon Mine offered important freight advantages for delivering coal and coke to central Germany.

Coal mining began in the Saxon Mine in 1914, but the necessary infrastructural work stagnated during the First World War. Also in the inter-war period, the system of shafts had to struggle with great economic problems. In view of the difficult situation with regard to sales and the economy in general, already at the end of 1932 the closure of the mine was seriously considered. The subsequent 'Concerted Action' of the workforce, work's management, local and regional administration as well as other authorities against the decision to close down was a spectacular process that ultimately achieved the continuation of operations, but at the same time represented a rupture in mining history.