The track leads to Hergisdorf -
150 years of general maps of the Mansfeld copper schist fields
The beginnings of boundary surveying for Mansfeld copper schist mining, too, are shrouded in the mists of time. Two claim and conferment plans from 1671 are to be regarded as the oldest plans. Most significant was that in them, the course of the mining boundary, which was important for several centuries, was also drawn in. Among the most influential mining boundary surveyors for copper schist mining from the seventeenth to the nineteenth centuries was Nikolaus Voigtel, who published in 1686 the first specialist book on mining boundary surveying in the German-speaking world under the title, Geometria subterranea. The manuscript of his work on mining boundary surveying has been preserved by A. H. Ehrenberg in a work from 1802. Up until recently, the former senior mining boundary surveyors, Johann Friedrich Christoph Brathuhn (1801-1874) and Moritz Otto Brathuhn (1837-1906), have been known, the former particularly through the general maps of the mining fields near Eisleben and Sangerhausen; and his son, Moritz Otto Brathuhn, a professor at the Clausthal Mining Academy, by virtue of being the author of several weighty publications. Their tracks can be traced back to the Mansfeld district and to Hergisdorf, in particular. This locality, with its long tradition in mining and special privileges for its residents, offered many generations of miners and steel workers a modest income for subsistence living and engendered well-known personalities in the mining and steel industries.