The Brandenburg-Prussian Superior Board of Mines in Berlin Responsibilities, Tasks and Leading Personalities from 1810 to 1838
The fact that the Brandenburg-Prussian Superior Board of Mines or the Superior Board of Mines for the Provinces of Brandenburg and Prussia only existed for 28 years is probably why this authority has failed to receive the credit it deserved for its work in more recent histories of mining administration. Nevertheless, the establishment of this now virtually forgotten Superior Board of Mines in 1810 can be regarded as a result of the Stein-Hardenberg administrative reforms. To demonstrate this, the article begins with a brief review of the mining laws and the administration of the Prussian mining industry towards the end of the 18th century.
The report then describes in detail what led to the establishment of this provincial authority and how its responsibilities changed over the years from its foundation in 1810 to its dissolution in 1838. A close look is also taken at the Board's staff, in particular the long-standing head of the Board and subsequent Director of Mines, Hans Otto Philipp Martin. Before he took over the management of die Silesian Superior Board of Mines in 1833, he fought in the mid-1820s for the survival of the Brandenburg-Prussian Board, which was already doubtful only 15 years after its establishment. In the end, however, he was unable to prevent the Superior Board of Mines for Brandenburg and Prussia having to hand over its work to the Berlin Superior Mining Directorate and other subordinate authorities. It was finally dissolved in 1838.